Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Interview with the Queen of Smut, Ella Fox


I've had the privilege of peeking into the mind of the Queen of Smut, Ella Fox.  Because I'm a super fan, I loved this inside access to the queen herself.   I can't wait to share what I've learned!

Here's the interview.......

What made you decide to start writing?

I’ve always been a voracious reader.  Because of that, I’ve also always been really into making up my own stories in my head.  I’d fill up journals and later word documents with my stories, but I never finished any.

A few years ago I had an idea for a story that wouldn’t leave.  I couldn’t stop thinking about it and it grew and grew.  That story was Broken Hart.  Once I started working on it, it poured out of me.  Not only that—I had the rest of the series in my head—and it was anxious to get out.

Who is your biggest supporter and helps push you on when you get discouraged?

My mom is the world’s best cheerleader.

Out of all of the books you’ve written, which is your favorite and why?

Ugh! Such an impossible question.  It’s like asking which child is your favorite.  Honestly, it changes.  Right now my favorite is Consequences of Deception.  Next week it will probably be Loving Hart and so on.  It just depends on my mood.

What kind of research do you do to get prepped for a sex scene?

Nothing.  They come to me naturally.  That sounds weird, right?  Oh well… I am what I am.

We know you write sexy books, but what genre do you enjoy reading the most?

I’m contemporary romance all the way.

Your newest book, Consequences of Deception, is a darker than your normal.  I absolutely loved it!  Why do you think readers will love it?

All of my books have one thing in common- heroes and heroines who, at their core, are good people.  Killian doesn’t seem as if he’s got an ounce of good in him for quite a while when you’re reading the story but- in reality- he’s a good man.  He’s flawed for sure, but when you pull back and find out WHY he is the way he is, it makes sense. 

Killian reminds me of the Hart brothers- Dante in particular.  If Killian’s life had continued on the path it had originally been on, he never would have gone dark.  His evolution from good guy to tough guy is the first of the Consequences of Deception.

Now that you’ve finished CoD, what sort of future projects do you have up your sleeve?

I’m working with a series of AWESOME writers (go stare in a mirror, Kristi!) on a box set of Southern themed love stories.  So excited about it!

I’m also finishing up Renegade Saints Book 2- Twist of Fate.  This one is about Leah Cooper (from the Hart family) and her journey to love.

After that, I will be working on Catch & Release, Book 2 of the Catch Series.  Then I move on to finishing Book 7 of the Hart Family- Saving Hart.  This book is about Sandra & Todd.

What has been your proudest moment since starting this journey of being an author?

The moment that I had the paperback for Broken Hart in my hands was a big one.  Seeing words on a screen is one thing- holding tangible proof that I wrote a book was an amazing feeling.

All of the Hart books weave together amazingly well and have tons of twists and turns.  Did you have all of this mapped out from the beginning or did you have to work to make all of the pieces fit?

When I wrote Broken Hart, I had the rest of the series in mind.  I planted seeds in that book ‘just in case’ I was able to write the rest. 

What is your writing “happy place”?  Like do you have a routine or ritual?  Music, location, certain food or drinks?

For me, it can be anywhere.  I don’t have rituals.  I have two different desktop computers in the house so that I have different spaces to go to, and I also have my Macbook that I cart around like a child.  I like to move around a lot. 



What author would you completely fangirl over?  You have to pick just one….like the author that you would probably make a fool of yourself with because you would babble excitedly about their work.

Oh, this is almost as impossible as choosing my favorite book! Right now, the answer is Kristen Ashley.  I just love her!

What is something about you that would surprise people?

I don’t know that it would surprise people, but part of my daily ritual is checking Tmz.com and DListed.com every day.  I’m a total gossip junkie.  Don’t judge!

How do you stay motivated/focused to keep churning out your sexy reads?

It’s all about the fans!  I interact with them A LOT and when they tell me they want something, it focuses & motivates me to deliver.

Would you ever write anything outside of the erotic/romance genre?  Why or why not?

The honest answer is that I am not sure.  I’ve got a full plate right now for at least the next years’ worth of work.  Having said that, I have an idea for a paranormal thriller that is currently taking up a lot of space in my brain.
  
What is the hottest scene you ever wrote?  I know you can’t give specifics as not to spoil anyone but at least give us a general idea and with what book.

I think it was in Broken Hart- Dante & Sabrina’s first time, on the couch in his living room.

If you could wave your magic Queen of Smut wand and bring one of your
characters to life, who would it be and why?

I am so selfish- I want them all!!

What’s your guilty pleasure that you like to indulge in?

When I need a pick-me-up, I always turn to the movies Grease, Hairspray or Mama Mia.  Something about those movies makes me dance and sing like a fool, and it always makes me happy.

What are three words to describe the types of books you write?

Sexy, Passionate, Loving



I’ve deemed you the Queen of Smut….what do you have to say for yourself?

I’ll take it!  I’m fine with the title- I think it’s awesome.  I love what I do, no matter how unconventional it may seem to some people.  I should get a coffee mug that says ‘I make people happy by writing Sexy Love Stories’. 

The whole experience of writing and self-publishing has been pretty awesome and I am looking forward to many more happily ever afters!

I hope you all enjoyed this interview with the Queen of Smut, Ella Fox!  





No comments:

Post a Comment